Monday, October 7, 2013

HI, I'M PJ MORVANT-ALEXANDER, I WRITE BOOKS.

As an author, I am told I must brand myself. Brand myself?  I am not a cow! (No comments from the peanut gallery, please.)
Oh!  Treat myself like I am a brand. Oh…okay.  Well, hm. Try the new and improved PJ Morvant-Alexander, guaranteed to reduce wrinkles, brighten your smile, and make your hair luxurious! What? No? Well what the heck does it mean, brand myself?

Sell myself?  Isn’t that against the law? OH…sell the public on me. Make them want to buy my books, hang on my creative words. Oh.
Well, I can’t really make anyone do anything, so let me just say this: I believe in my writing. I enjoy writing and I think – if you give my first book a look/see – you’ll enjoy it and want more. Yeah, I can write. I love to write. Did it for years in school, won awards for it in fandom, and now I’m confident that folks will be interested in my original fiction. I have something to say! Hence, welcome to my blog.

Here, I’ll be talking about the books I have written and the books I’m currently working on. I also plan to talk about the comparative ease of being an Indie writer; give to you the steps that will enable anyone to be a published author. If I can do it, anyone can. But I don’t want to get ahead of myself. There will be more about that in future blogs.

Coming from Louisiana bayou Voodoo country, my personal interests lay in all things scary, unusual and supernatural. Nothing delights me more than a scary movie on a stormy night. I love it all; from ‘things that go bump in the night’, to time travel, to space adventures, to psychic phenomenon.  It is in the latter subject that my first foray into pro writing took hold.
When I first started reading novels at the tender age of 6, I began with Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Pellucidar Series and from there I moved to Carson of Venus and eventually John Carter of Mars and finally my childhood hero, Tarzan of the Apes. From ERB’s formula-driven novels of adventures on other worlds, I moved up to Fritz Leiber’s sword and sorcery series about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.  By this time I was very accustomed to the serialization style and actually enjoyed following the characters through their various adventures.

When I first started writing my first novel, I really didn’t have a series in mind. I just had a story to tell. But as it came to an end, I felt sad because I loved the characters I had created. A very dear friend of mine said to me “why don’t you make it a series? There should be a lot of stuff to come up with for a psychic guy!” I gave her a blank look while that comment sunk in and BAM! I realized the wisdom of her words. Consequently, I offer for your edification, The Magarelli Series.

Enter my favorite character to pick on, Alessio Magarelli – an Italian lounge singer, a sweet guy, a mother’s angel and a trouble magnet with a capital M.  And oh, how I do love to get him into trouble. He makes it so easy.

My first book – Relevance – was a learning experience for me as well as a delight to write. I started with a loose outline for my skeleton and, as I wrote, fleshed out the muscle and tissue that became -- what I believe is -- a fast paced story of an everyday guy thrust into a terrible series of events over which he has no control. All he can do is warn people to get out of the way and hope they listen.

Relevance is available at Amazon.com.  You’d do best to go to that site and search Magarelli Series because there are an awful lot of books named Relevance – but only one about my main character Alessio Magarelli. They even let you read a few pages as a sample – dip your toe in as it were. Come on, jump in!
All I ask as an Indie author is – if you like it – please, tell your friends about it. Word of mouth is the best advertisement as it comes from someone who has experienced the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment