Sunday, July 19, 2015

PHSYCIS AND WEREWOLVES AND SPACERS! OH MY!

WELL.  That certainly was a crazy few months!

So much has happened since I last posted. Of course I have been writing but that's just part of it. So here's the scoop.

In December, in the middle of writing Inherit the Moon, I had a total knee replacement of the right knee. I had put it off for months, it was supposed to happen in Sept. 2014, not December. But I realized after the 3 month recovery and physical therapy time, it'd put me out on the tiles in the middle of a Michigan winter. Gah!  So I had it rescheduled to December. By the time the surgery rolled around I was informed by my Doctor that had I waited as little as one month more, something terrible would have occurred with that leg. I knew something was up because it was so painful to walk. This was pain beyond the osteoarthritic pain...all the way down to my foot. Long story short, what was left of the knee cap had relocated itself to the far right of the where it was supposed to be and the two large bones were tilting in toward my left leg. It was grindy and crunchy when I walked. So that's why it had become so painful. Yikes.

So under the knife I went. I'm happy to say my sense of humor was intact and I kept my nurses and aids in a state of giggles during my 5 day stay in hospital. If you've ever had surgery, you know they bother the heck out of you every 45 minutes or so to get vitals and dose meds. My nurse said I got to where I would hear the door open and stick my arm up (while still asleep -- something I learned from Alessio, I guess).

Suffice it to say, surgery was a total success and in 5 days I was out and ready to start physical therapy -- what I lovingly call physical torture. And it was going great for about a month.

Then all of a sudden I had a weird symptom that sent me to my Gynecologist. Four days after that visit I am informed that I have an aggressive cancer of the uterus. WTF?! What is it, pick on the fat chick year? Within a week of that diagnosis I was on the operating table again!  Two major surgeries within a month and a half of each other. Repeat GAH!!!

Again, totally successful surgery. I am hollow now...total hysterectomy including cervix. I am ready for stuffing. 

I am happy to say that it was gotten to early enough that they got it all. It had not spread anywhere else, not even to the outer wall of the uterus or to the lymph nodes. No chemo, no radiation (as if my personality isn't glowing enough). I am -- at present -- cancer free. And yes I feel extremely fortunate that mine was literally a mere brush with cancer.

One great thing associated with all this cutting?  My appetite was affected and between then and now I have taken off a whopping 60 lbs! I feel great!

So.  Back to writing and finishing ITM. Then off to the editors and then rewrites. 

Inherit the Moon -- my novel about a reluctant cowboy werewolf and his daughter -- premiered at MediaWest*Con Memorial Day weekend 2015. Sold nearly all I brought and a few Relevance and Epiphany as well. Went with two large boxes of books and came home with one not even completely full. It was a great weekend.

That was end of May and here it is July.  I was going to turn my attention to the Italian cowering in the corner (cuz he knows Fathom is going to be very hard on him, physically and mentally) but I realized I had been nearly finished with The Galaxy
According to Phaser Spangles
which had been pushed to the side for Inherit the Moon. So I gave my attention to the obnoxious teen aged spacer boy and am now about 4000 words from finishing that novel. Reprieve for the Italian.

So that’s where I am now. About the finish TGATPS and send it off to two editors. This will be quite different than the other two series. For one thing I plan to do some illustrations for it. I’m actually looking forward to that.

While that is being edited, I will turn my full attention to Alessio. Get over it, buddy. It’s your turn.  I presently have about 45,000 words on Fathom and 50,000 words on Hunters’ Moon – the 2nd book in the Knights’ Moon Series.  So if no major hitches jump into my path, I should have 3 – count ‘em – 3 new books out by MediaWest*Con 2016. Very exciting.



No comments:

Post a Comment